Friday, August 12, 2016

French Bread

Print Here
Bread is a personal weakness. I am all for carbs! Especially in the form of bread or pasta. They are probably my two favorite things. French Bread may be time consuming but it well worth the wait. And of course I'm old school and don't use a bread maker, so prepare yourself for some work with your hands.

You first need to mix your lukewarm water with sugar and then sprinkle the yeast over the mixture. Let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes. It gets a fluffy look on the water. Some people have told me that this isn't important as long as the yeast is dissolved; however, I stand by the importance of this step. Frankly, if you skip this step you risk your bread to raising enough or there being a strong yeast flavor to your bread.

After this step is complete add your remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. I use a wooden spoon because those suckers are nice and sturdy. 

When your mixture looks like this you must now kneed it. Some people do this on a floured surface, I do it in my bowl because I like to avoid flour everywhere... I have a two year old and she seems to stick her fingers on the cupboard at all my least favorite times.
Add oil to the bowl and cover all sides of the ball. Cover it with a towel and let it raise for 1 hour.

Punch it down and let it raise for another 30 minutes. 
At this point you need to make a rectangle of your bread. Unfortunately this requires the use of the cupboard and a strong hope that you won't have little fingers reaching over the edge. 
You can use a rolling pin but I'm inclined to use my hands to make it a little more even. It is important to get it as rectangular as possible because other wise when you jelly roll it loaf will be a little distorted. 

I cover mine with plastic wrap and let it raise for another 45 minutes to an hour. It gets nice and fluffy! 
I egg wash mine loaf with the whole egg.  There's really no point in wasting part of it. The egg wash will give it a nice firm crust. And then slit it at least 3 times. 


Bake in for 25 minutes on 375. And then enjoy your bread!! 

French Bread Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup of warm water (110-120 degrees)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups of flour

Instructions:

1. In mixing bowl add sugar and water. Stir to dissolve sugar and sprinkle with yeast. Let set 5 to 10 minutes or until foamy.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
3. Knead into a ball.
4. Place in greased bowl flipping to cover both sides.
5. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
6. Punch down and let it rise again...about 30 minutes.
7. Flatten out into a rectangle.
8. "Jelly" roll it up and tuck the ends under pinching gently.
9. Place on greased baking sheet.
10. Cover and let rise for 30-60 minutes.
11. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
12. Brush with egg.
13. Give it a couple swipes with a serrated knife.
14. Bake 25 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment